Saturday, February 21, 2009

Stray Cats


Well, its a known fact that I am, deep down inside, a cat lady...cats like me, I like them. I would have two cats if my dogs didn't like to kill them!

I now have two stray cat friends. One, I call Rosa, she is about to pop out at least 33 kittens (based upon her size). The other cat, called Hudson, was thought to be a male but yesterday, when he came for food, I noticed his mid-section is starting to bulge. UGH!

So, I called the Humane Society on 590. They told me if I brought them there as strays, that stray cats are turned over to Animal Services and will most likely be "put down"...I said, "no, you mean they kill them, right?"... Well, I just can not do that.

The Humane Society does have a program:

"S.N.I.P. (Spay-Neuter Incentive Program)
If you have a dog or cat that has recently given birth, we can help! Give the entire litter to the Humane Society of Pinellas and we will SPAY the mother for you at NO CHARGE. We will even allow you FOSTER the litter in order to get them off to a healthy start. Our kittens and puppies are adopted into new homes fully vaccinated and spayed or neutered."

So I am in the process of creating a SAFE shelter in my garage to house the Mama's and their babies (if I can get them). Once they are 4 to 5 weeks old, I can take them all to the shelter. The kittens will go to good homes (everyone wants a baby) and the shelter will Spay the Mama's, give them back to me and I will have stray, spayed cats that I feed.

That's better than letting them be killed, isn't it?

If you want to take in a Mama and her babies to help, let me know...I have a feeling this is how "Save Our Strays" got started!

2 comments:

  1. You have such a big heart!
    I wish I could take a kitten or two...but alas...

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so great--are you worried about leaving Rosa outside in Hudson?

    ReplyDelete